Friday, September 7, 2012

ROBBLOG #444

I just read a story about a Toronto man with Huntington’s Disease who decided to take his own life before the disease took control of him.
 
It was a tough story to read.
It made me cry but I think the tears were happy tears since I know he is at peace.
This is what the Gentleman wanted.
His reasons are all documented and he explained further in a letter he left behind.
His wife knew and so did two others from a group called “Dying with Dignity”.
That’s what it’s all about- isn’t it?
Dignity.
We hold our head high for a lifetime. Then along comes a disease that means- towards the end of life, being tied down to a hospital bed.
There’s great pain and discomfort and the agony of waiting for it all to be through.
 
Could I do it?
I don’t know.
I don’t think any of us know until we are faced with the prospect of dying a terrible, painful death at the will of an incurable disease.
 
I have seen three people in my life in the hours, days and moments before they leave this earthly plane for the next.
It isn’t pretty.
 
One asked- “Why is it taking so long?”
 
Another- “I’m dying but I’m having nice dreams now.”
That was my Dad.
 
Another- My Aunt, looked at me through eyes I scarcely recognized as she thanked me for coming by her hospital bed day after day to feed her.
To this day, I don’t know how I did that daily.
 


 
 
Should assisted death be legal?
I believe so.
It’s the final decision we can make for ourselves.
Before the pain.
Before the mind is taken.
Before the body crumbles.
 
There should be a place.
A wonderful place filled with music. Soft light. Pleasant scents.
A place for family to be.
After all, family gathers around a casket to see a dead body- so why not before that time?
 
It would be a time when the terminally ill person is still able to think clearly and has time for a proper goodbye.
Hugs.
Kisses.
Laughter.
Smiles.
Togetherness.
 
When someone special has decided it’s time to say farewell, we should leave them to their own quiet dignity. Their final wishes are just that- their final wishes.
They need to be respected and carried out.
 
Standing in the way is the law of the land and probably organized religion.
 
In the near future I am sure it will be viewed as being normal and the right thing to do.
These decisions take time and taking one’s self into eternity is the biggest decision of all.