Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I can’t type for long.
You see, I am busy cleaning up dust and searching hardware counters for hinges. My free time has been fleeting, deciding on which door pulls look best on cream-colored kitchen cabinets.
Why I barely have time to communicate with you on my RobBlog because I was dealing with getting a new fridge repaired after only one week of operation. However, that whole story comes with a happy ending as we await another brand new fridge to be delivered next week.

Oh, we’ve been through renovations before- Tom and I. When you live in an 1875 house you have to keep up appearances.
Things wear out.
Things break down.
Things rot out.
Things get looking old.
Among our latest projects is a kitchen re-do. Kitchen cupboard doors are being painted as well as cabinets. A new countertop will be ordered- once we make or mind up on colour and design. We have had to search high and low for cabinet hardware and ended up going high.
High price, I mean!
Who knew that drawer and cupboard handles could be so expensive? After all their only function is to open a cupboard door or two- isn’t it?
Yes, I understand, they also provide some decorative appeal too.
There are both high end and low end choices when it comes to drawer pulls and handles but to find suitable “pulls and handles” for our cabinets we had to go a little bit on the expensive side.
The old adage- “You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear” is so true. We know this to be true, since we have been down this road before.

I remember our major renovation more than sixteen years ago. I stopped adding up the bills when I reached 90 thousand dollars!
Yikes!
Of course that was a major project that included a double car garage.

Once this current kitchen reno is completed, we’ll have freshly painted cupboards, a new surface to prepare meals and serve from plus two new appliances. For the first time in more than a decade, all appliances will be of the same colour. A feat not even imagined even a half dozen years ago.

What's next?
Well, our formal parlour is getting a complete new paint job and an upstairs bedroom will finally get its new wood laminate flooring- after two years of waiting.
Nobody has ever said that renovations are easy- or quick.
It will be beautiful when it’s done.

Better dash. I have some drawers to empty before the painter moves inside the house. The past couple of days, Nicole (from Fran Woodhurst- The Helpful Painter) has been painting cupboard door fronts in the garage. She’s doing an amazing job!
I’ll be sure to post a picture when the kitchen is complete.
Have a good one!